Monday, August 27, 2012

Old School to New Tech: Study Habits in D2L


I was studying today and had an idea to share with you a quick tip of what I do to keep myself organized when I’m buried deep in the D2L platform, so check it out. Here’s the link:
Although I discuss the benefits of transferring course information into word documents, I forgot to mention in this screencast that once you save something in Word, you can easily cut and paste from Word into your discussion posts using the icon that looks like this:
Realizing you can't Copy/Paste from Firefox into D2L? Try this method.

So, this is another great way to save your reading notes to yourself, the actual text you’ve been asked to discuss and your own response via discussion post in a file folder that you can maintain yourself for that particular class.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Zem - I love your screencast - great ideas! I also have found that I'm doing a lot of saving from PDFs onto my hard drive. If our professor has uploaded a PDF, right from the D2L screen I right-click on the document and it gives me the option to "save PDF as"

    At that point, I actually double-save it. First to my file folder I set up (eg: de Groot lectures). Then I do it again, this time saving it to a DropBox folder. I like to know that I have these required readings with me if I'm out on the go.

    Finally, I have also been doing this a lot with the de Groot class from the database, opening articles as PDFs and saving them to my hard drive that way.

    Did you know that you can highlight and annotate PDFs? At least using Preview on a Mac, it's working quite well.

    Hope this helps!

    Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mary Ann! Thanks for dropping by! :)

    Yes, I know we can highlight and annotate .pdfs and that works great as well! :) Some .pdfs don't actually copy and paste quite as neatly as this example I showed in the screencast so when that happens I love just writing right on the .pdf file, but when I need to write something as a discussion post, it's so much easier (personally) to do it via word but it's all cut & paste so I suppose whatever works for you! :)

    That's one of the greatest things about technology! There's always more than one way to skin a cat! :)

    Thanks for posting, I know some of the students in 203 class I'm mentoring check this information out from time to time so your post is really helpful!

    ReplyDelete