Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Hello From Your Friendly Neighborhood Peer Mentor!

Hi friends! My folks named me, Zemirah but everyone calls me, Zem. "Zemirah" in Hebrew means "Song of Praise". Unfortunately, I sing like a dying cow. So. Zem. Much shorter. Easier to remember.

 I live in San Diego, CA with my husband and three little kids: Naomi (7), Nathan (6), and Noah (3). I graduated from UCSD some time ago *cough cough* with a BA in English Lit and a minor in French Lit. I've been wanting to be a librarian since before I even knew I wanted to be a librarian! Really.

I took some time off school to have get married, have a family, do the house thing and so on and so forth. With my littlest one in pre-school now I'm hitting the books again full-force in library school and I couldn't be happier. I just finished my first full year at SJSU SLIS and currently, reference and instruction have been the most appealing topics I've come across.

LIBR203 was such a HUGE help for me when I first started. Of course, I know how to use my email. Of course, I know what a blog is and yes, once I figure out how to navigate around a platform like D2L, sure I can basically figure out how to read assignments and submit them. No problem. That's all mechanics. Really, what 203 helped me soothe, initially, was my trepidation at starting real school up again after a really long long break. I needed to know I still knew how to interact with other life-forms over 3 feet tall who most likely weren't drinking out of capri-sun pouches and most likely had drivers licenses. In short. I was worried about the whole getting back into school, and not only that... how does this ONLINE thing work?!

I had the BEST professor and the BEST peer mentor help me get my feet wet and really taught me how to ease into the program. I paid attention to the discussion boards and realized there were many others like me who were both nervous and excited to start this academic foray into all things library and information science.

When I saw an opportunity to actually BE a peer mentor come up, I had to take it. I mentioned having an interest in reference and instruction before and its true. In fact, I think to BE here, many of us have to have some sort of an interest in helping others. I'm excited to be here!

Thanks for checking out my blog. :) Welcome to SJSU SLIS!

No comments:

Post a Comment